Greetings! My name is Darcy and I am a communications consultant with over 15 years’ experience developing and delivering persuasive talks. For more on my philosophy, check out my homepage.
My passion for becoming a research storyteller came from my training as a scientist. Seeing Carl Sagan’s Cosmos rebroadcast in the early 1990s inspired me to study planets at first, then work in a laboratory developing a new tool to analyze seawater. Through that experience, I discovered that I was more interested in telling stories of discovery than tinkering in the laboratory. So I decided that the best contribution that I could deliver to science was to get really good at telling stories and inspire those who would support and/or undertake the doing of science. In the almost 20 years since, I have broadened my work into all forms of communication, especially presentations coaching and research storytelling.
I have had the pleasure to work with many speakers, helping them to tell stories of personal achievement, propose new ideas, appeal for collaboration, and seek investment in promising innovations.
I have worked with speakers either individually or through workshops at many organizations, including:
- American Geophysical Union, Arizona State University, Cancer Prevention and Control Research Network, the George Washington University, Sigma Xi, Southwest Research Institute, University of Florida
- Individual speakers
- USA private academic institutions
- Baylor University, Brown University, Carnegie Mellon University, Cornell University, Georgetown University, Harvard University, Johns Hopkins University, Stanford University, Washington University (St. Louis), Yale University
- USA public academic insitutions
- Arizona State University, University of California Berkeley, University of California Irvine, Florida International University, Florida State University, Louisiana State University, University of Florida, University of Maryland, University of Michigan, University of Washington (Seattle)
- International academic institutions:
- Universidade Federal do Rio de Janeiro (Brasil), University of British Columbia (Canada), Simon Fraser University (Canada), University Autónoma de Baja California (Mexico), Universidad de Monterrey (Mexico), Chalmers University of Technology (Sweden), National University of Singapore (Singapore)
- Non-profit / non-governmental organization
- Association of Science-Technology Centers, The MIT Museum, the National Academy of Sciences, National Park Foundation, Smithsonian Institution, Woods Hole Oceanographic Institute
- Dar Si Hmad (Morocco), Synchrotron-Light for Experimental Science Applications in the Middle East (Jordan)
- USA governmental
- Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), National Aeronautics and Space Administration (NASA), National Institutes of Health (NIH), National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration (NOAA), National Radio Astronomy Observatory (NRAO), National Science Foundation (NSF), Walter Reed Army Medical Center
- Private sector (USA and international)
- Bergeson & Campbell PLC, Climate Desk, Folia Water, Improvscience, KnockKnock, Kohnworkshop, Philip Beesley Architect Inc. (Canada), SpaceX
- USA private academic institutions
Additionally, I’ve written for and occasionally hosted ACS Reactions on YouTube, planned Congressional science policy briefings, and created and ran the ChemChamps contest to encourage young scientists to share their passion for research (2014, 2015, and 2016). Also, I co-produced and trained speakers for thirst infotainment events from 2012-2016.
I am a proud alumnus of The Banff Center’s Science Communications (2008) and attended the Summer Institute at The Alan Alda Center for Communicating Science at Stony Brook University (2014). I have a Ph.D. and M.S. in Chemistry from Arizona State University (2003, 2001) and an Hon. B.Sc. in Planetary Science, and also Chemistry, from the University of Toronto (1999).
Let me know how I could help you deliver a persuasive talk. Contact me here!